Finding a balance that works for you
With busy schedules, it’s easy to become overwhelmed with work and not find time for anything else. The trick is achieving a balance that promotes your overall health and the success of your career or business – often easier said than done.
We've put together some tips to help you manage your stress levels and look after yourself.
- If you're feeling stressed or anxious, try and postpone major life changes such as moving house or changing jobs.
- Finding someone to talk to can help – either a close friend, a family member, counsellor or psychologist.
- Learn to relax. Make sure you set aside time for the things you enjoy, such as exercising, meditating, reading, gardening or listening to music.
- Take your annual leave each year and make sure you have a proper break from work.
- Get out of the workplace during lunch – even if it's just for a 10 minute walk. You'll feel refreshed and more productive in the afternoon.
- Try scheduling meetings during core work hours, not your personal time.
- Restrict your overtime hours and speak to your manager if demands are unreasonable.
- If you frequently work late, try leaving on time at least a couple of times a week. Check out these helpful tips.
- Avoid checking your email or answering work calls out of hours.
If you notice any changes in your thoughts, feelings or behaviour, see your GP or health professional. The earlier you seek support, you sooner you can recover.